g+, fb

Saturday 29 March 2014

Malaysian Food: Mamak Stall & Nasi Kandar

Malaysia is a multi ethnic country. Each of the ethnic having their very own eating habit. One of the culture is mamak stall.

I still remember during my college time 10 years back, I was staying at Kuala Lumpur. It was so common that every college-mate or housemate visit for any mamak stall when the time reach 8pm. Mamak stall located in many of the areas, including the roadside, around the hostel, and so. 

We enjoyed a lot with the foods, especially Maggie Mee Goreng, Roti Pisang, Roti Kosong, and Teh Tarik. There were all "trademark" for mamak stall. One of the style that I couldn't forget is Roti Goreng, which is Fried Roti Kosong. The taste was so special and tasty, can say its taste like Char Koay Teow. However, I can't find one in the Northern Malaysia. Maybe I was seldom visit any mamak stall again after my college time.

In the Northern Malaysia, I found that most of the people visiting mamak stall, the main reason is going for their Nasi Kandar and no longer similar to Kuala Lumpur style. I'm not sure is it different currently or it is still the same lifestyle over there.

This is the mamak stall nearby my housing area. Though I'm not visit it frequenty, but at least it is good when I feel hungry at night. Most of the time, chinese restaurant closed earlier and mamak stall is mainly operate at night.


Let's see what was I taken, a Roti Kosong (Roti Canai) and Mee Goreng (Fried Mee). The taste was not surprisingly actually, but I was enjoyed the chilled environment outside there.

Mee Goreng

Roti Kosong

3 comments: